Monday, December 13, 2010

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner (1967-2001)



‎9 years ago, on Dec. 13, Chuck Schuldiner passed away after a battle with cancer. He was 34. I think about the man and his music every day. Chuck taught me and countless others how to play unique, uncompromising metal. He balanced aggression with melody, heaviness with class. He was a guitarist, vocalist, songwriter and above all a metal fan. He wasn't afraid to embrace the heavy metal tradition, even when few would utter the phrase in the dark days of the late 1990s. When I hear the word "metal," the next in my mind is always "Chuck!" Please join me in a moment of silence, followed by several hours of blasting Death and Control Denied tunes. R.I.P. Metal Bro! You will always be remembered...


Here are links to the articles I wrote on Chuck:


"Precious Memories of Chuck Schuldiner" (long version) on emptywords.org


"Precious Memories of Chuck Schuldiner" (short version) on emptywords.org



No comments: